SUZANA IN THE NEWS
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Suzana Popovic-Montag is the Managing Partner of Hull & Hull LLP, one of Canada’s leading estate litigation firms. As one of the country’s premier estate litigators with almost 25 years of litigation experience, she has successfully represented clients at every level of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Trained in mediation at Harvard Law School, Suzana also maintains a specialized mediation practice through Hull Estate Mediation Inc., focusing on pre-death and post-death estate resolutions.
She is a frequent blogger and podcaster and speaks regularly at conferences across Canada. Suzana is the author of numerous academic articles on estates and trusts issues – and her articles are referred to in many of Canada’s leading estates texts.
She is a co-editor of Wills & Trusts Law Reports (U.K.) and Trust Quarterly Review (U.K.). Suzana also is the author and co-author of several academic texts, most notably Probate Practice (5th Edition), Feeney’s Canadian Law of Wills (4th Edition) and Challenging the Validity of Wills (2nd Edition).
Suzana has been a Lexpert Ranked lawyer since 2012 and recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada since 2009 in the area of Trust and Estates. She has also been selected as a recommended attorney by Global Law Experts.
Suzana was called to the bar in 1997. She has an LL.B. from the University of Western Ontario and an Honours B.A. in Economics and Math from Wilfrid Laurier University.
University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law, London, Ontario, Canada
Wilfrid Laurier University
B.A. (Hons.) Economics and Math
- Contributing Author of LGBTQ2+ Law: Practice Issues and Analysis
- Probate Practice, 5th ed., Carswell 2016 (co-author)
- Feeney’s Canadian Law of Wills, 4th ed., LexisNexis 2016 (co-author)
- Wills & Trusts Law Reports (co-editor)
- Trust Quarterly Review (co-editor)
- Key Developments In Estates and Trusts Law, 2008 and 2009, co-contributor
- “The End of a Charitable Saga,” Trusts and Estates, Law & Tax Journal, 2007
- “Good News…Recent Developments Limiting the Scope of Claims of Solicitor’s Negligence,” Estates and Trusts Reports, 2006
- “Revisiting Section 31 of the Succession Law Reform Act The Anti-Lapse Provision,” Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal, 2004
- “‘Once a Spouse’ and ‘Forever Spousal’ Obligations?,” Trust Quarterly Review, 2004
- Co-author of Challenging the Validity of Wills, 2nd Edition
- Contributing Author of Key Developments in Estates and Trusts Law in Ontario, 2008 – Current Editions
- Regular contributor to The Law Times and Lawyers Weekly
Honours and Awards
- The Top 60 Leading Lawyers in Canada, Estates and Trusts, LawDay, 2009 and 2010
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Trusts and Estates, 2009 — Present
- LEXPERT ranked lawyer 2012–2014
- Best Lawyers International
- Global Law Experts Recommended Attorney
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Trusts and Estates Section, Past Chair
- Toronto Lawyers Association, Director
- Estate Planning Council (Mississauga), Member
- Halton County Law Association, Member
- The Advocates’ Society, Member
- Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP), Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- The Appleby College Foundation, Member
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, Member