Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Suzana Popovic-Montag is the Managing Partner of Hull & Hull LLP. She practices exclusively in the areas of estates, trusts, capacity and fiduciary litigation.
She also maintains a specialized mediation practice (having been trained at Harvard Law School) through Hull Estate Mediation Inc., focusing on pre-death and post-death estate resolutions.
Suzana is the co-author of Probate Practice, 5th edition, the seminal text in estates and trusts, and the author of numerous authoritative and learned articles in her areas of expertise. She has an LL.B. from the University of Western Ontario and an Honours B.A. from Wilfrid Laurier University. Suzana was called to the bar in 1997. She is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Advocates’ Society, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys Inc., the Halton County Law Association, and the Estate Planning Council (Mississauga).
Suzana has been recognized as a Lexpert Ranked lawyer since 2012. She has also been included in The Best Lawyers in Canada (2009-present), in the area of Trust and Estates, and has been selected as a recommended attorney by Global Law Experts.
Suzana is a frequent blogger, podcaster and speaker at various OBA, CBA, Osgoode Hall and Law Society of Upper Canada programs. She is a co-editor of Wills & Trusts Law Reports (U.K.) and Trust Quarterly Review (U.K.), and a co-contributor to the texts, Key Developments in Estates and Trusts Law in Ontario (2008-present) and Probate Practice. Suzana is also a contributor to the OBA Trusts and Estates section publication, Deadbeat, and is the author of numerous academic articles on estates and trusts issues. Her articles are referred to in many of Canada’s leading estates texts. She is a regular contributor to The Law Times and Lawyers Weekly.
SUZANA IN THE NEWS
University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law, London, Ontario, Canada
Wilfrid Laurier University
B.A. (Hons.) Economics and Math
- Probate Practice, 5th ed., Carswell 2016 (co-author)
- Feeney’s Canadian Law of Wills, 4th ed., LexisNexis 2016 (co-author)
- Wills & Trusts Law Reports (co-editor)
- Trust Quarterly Review (co-editor)
- Key Developments In Estates and Trusts Law, 2008 and 2009, co-contributor
- “The End of a Charitable Saga,” Trusts and Estates, Law & Tax Journal, 2007
- “Good News…Recent Developments Limiting the Scope of Claims of Solicitor’s Negligence,” Estates and Trusts Reports, 2006
- “Revisiting Section 31 of the Succession Law Reform Act The Anti-Lapse Provision,” Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal, 2004
- “‘Once a Spouse’ and ‘Forever Spousal’ Obligations?,” Trust Quarterly Review, 2004
- Co-author of Challenging the Validity of Wills, 2nd Edition
- Contributing Author of Key Developments in Estates and Trusts Law in Ontario, 2008 – Current Editions
- Regular contributor to The Law Times and Lawyers Weekly
Honours and Awards
- The Top 60 Leading Lawyers in Canada, Estates and Trusts, LawDay, 2009 and 2010
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Trusts and Estates, 2009 — Present
- LEXPERT ranked lawyer 2012–2014
- Best Lawyers International
- Global Law Experts Recommended Attorney
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Trusts and Estates Section, Past Chair
- Toronto Lawyers Association, Director
- Estate Planning Council (Mississauga), Member
- Halton County Law Association, Member
- The Advocates’ Society, Member
- Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP), Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- The Appleby College Foundation, Member
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, Member