IAN IN THE NEWS
Ian M. Hull
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ian Hull is one of Canada’s leading estate litigators. He has successfully represented clients at every level of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada. He was the Toronto Lawyers Association Honsberger Award Winner in 2018 and received the Ontario Bar Association award for distinguished service in 2020.
His work has been recognized internationally at the highest levels. And in North America, he is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, an invitation only fellowship of exceptional trial lawyers of diverse backgrounds from the United States and Canada.
Ian was also recently inducted into the Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, whose members are amongst the most respected civil, commercial and labour Alternative Dispute Resolution professionals across Canada.
Ian regularly presents on estate law issues both in Canada and abroad. He is also the author of five books on estate law issues, including the seminal Probate Practice, now in its fifth edition. Ian is a co-editor of Feeney on Wills and has written dozens of articles.
Ian is certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a specialist in estate and trust law and civil litigation. He is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, and the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law.
Ian and Jordan Atin co-founded Hull e-State Planner, a software designed to make the estate planning process simple, efficient and client friendly.
Ian was called to the bar in 1990, and co-founded Hull & Hull with his father, Rodney Hull, in 1998. He has an LL.B. from the University of Windsor and an Honours B.A. from the University of Western Ontario.
Certified Legal Specialties
Estates and Trusts Law
International Academy of Estate and Trust Law (Academician)
University of Windsor School of Law, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
University of Western Ontario
- Co-author of Probate Practice 4th and 5th Edition (Carswell) – 1996 and 2016
- Co-Author – Feeney’s Canadian Law of Wills, 4th Edition (LexisNexis)
- Co-Author – Halsbury’s Laws of Canada – Wills-Estates (2016 Reissue) (LexisNexis)
- Co-Author – Challenging the Validity of Wills, First Edition (1994) and Second Edition (2018) (Carswell)
- Author of Power of Attorney Litigation, (CCH) and Challenging the Validity of Wills (Carswell) – 2000
- Author of Advising Families on Succession Planning: The High Price of Not Talking (LexisNexis) – 2005
- Contributing Author of Key Developments in Estates and Trusts Law in Ontario, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Editions
- Contributing Author of Widdifields on Accounts – Annually
- Canadian Estate Administration Guide (LexisNexis)
- Estates and Trusts Reports (Carswell)
- Contributor to Lexis Practice Advisory – Canada – wills and estates module, passing of accounts and estate litigation modules
Classes and Seminars
- Lecturer, Ontario Bar Admission Course
- Lecturer, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Guest Lecturer, Canadian Bar Association
Honours and Awards
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- The Top 60 Leading Lawyers in Canada, Estates and Trusts, 2009 and 2010
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Trusts and Estates, Alternate dispute resolutions, 2006-2020
- LEXPERT ranked lawyer 2012–2020
- Best Lawyers International
- Toronto Lawyers Association Honsberger Award Winner, 2018
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- OBA Award for Distinguished Service 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- The Advocates’ Society, and member of Estate Litigation Practice Group
- Former member of the Executive of the Trusts and Estates Section of the Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Halton County Law Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), former member of the STEP National Executive
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Academician of The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law
- Chair of the Board of Trustees Law Society Foundation
- Director, Osgoode Society
- Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (CADN)