We all know exercise is good for you. However, a survey of recent studies compiled by Business Insider shows that it is really, really good for you.
The article confirms that the best sort of exercise is aerobic exercise, or “cardio”. Exercises that increase the heart rate have been shown to be the most beneficial for body and mind.
The article refers to various studies showing the diverse ways in which cardio can be beneficial. These include:
- lower the risk of dementia;
- protection of your immune system from age-related decline;
- increased muscle tone;
- improved heart and lung health;
- the reversal of some heart damage associated with aging;
- improved mood and reduced stress;
- change the microbial makeup of your gut, reducing inflammation;
- the lowering of bad cholesterol levels;
- prevention or management of diabetes;
- improved look and feel of your skin;
- reduction of the symptoms of depression
- increased brain connectivity, thereby reducing the likeliness of cognitive impairment;
- reduction of the adverse mental impact of chemotherapy; and
- an increase in the size of brain areas linked to memory.
The article contains links to the studies supporting the conclusions.
Now get out there and move!