The Power of Testamentary Charitable Giving

September 27, 2021 Rebecca Kennedy Charities Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , 0 Comments

This month marks the beginning of the Will Power campaign, led by the CAGP Foundation and the Canadian Association of Gift Planners.

Will Power is designed to show Canadians the power they have to make a difference with their Wills by leaving charitable gifts.

Many Canadians feel that if they leave a charitable gift in their Will, it will take away from gifts and support for their loved ones, who they also wish to benefit as part of their estate plan. But according to CAGP and the CAGP Foundation, leaving even 1% of one’s estate to charity can still “have an enormous impact on your cause, while still leaving 99% of your estate to your family…You don’t have to choose between your loved ones and the causes you care about when planning your Will.” The Will Power website has a helpful legacy calculator, which can help with visualizing what it means to leave a gift to charity, and still be in a position to benefit your loved ones.

Some people may think that they need to have a very large estate to be able to make a meaningful gift to charity. But regardless of the size of the gift, it can still make a difference. Will Power estimates that if only 3.5% more ordinary Canadians included a gift in their Will in the coming decade, the result would be $40 billion in gifts to charitable causes.

Another aspect of charitable giving to consider is the tax benefit of doing so. Depending on the nature of your assets at the time of your passing, and any estate planning steps, there could be significant taxes payable on death. Making a testamentary gift to a cause that is important to you could result in a reduction of the amount of taxes to be paid.

For more information, and helpful links, you can check out this press release from Will Power.

Thanks for reading,

Rebecca Rauws

 

You may also enjoy these other blog posts:

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
 

CONNECT WITH US

TRY HULL E-STATE PLANNER SOFTWARE

Hull e-State Planner is a comprehensive estate planning software designed to make the estate planning process simple, efficient and client friendly.

Try it here!

CATEGORIES

ARCHIVES

TWITTER WIDGET

  • "Despite the obvious power imbalance between an attorney and an incapable grantor, and the potential for abuse, the… https://t.co/Tz8QpKcBKD
  • Costs in SDA Proceedings: A Lesson from Rudin-Brown Last Monday's article delves into the costs decision of Rudin… https://t.co/TIu6QN458W
  • Read today's article about how British North America’s first known black lawyer saved @queensu from financial ruin.… https://t.co/H7lCOZxjHc
  • Hull on Estates #627 – What is the Role of the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee? Listen to the most recen… https://t.co/8E0ifA1nId
  • Today's article explores the motion to dismiss for delay in Nelson v. Rancourt, 2021 ONSC 4767. This case is about… https://t.co/Zi4QrwEtXN
  • Clarifying the Rights of Individuals Related by Marriage and Half-Relations The December 2021 Solicitor Tip of the… https://t.co/3gAPvD0nKW