The MIND Diet
There is a new diet out there and it has been given the name of the MIND diet.
The MIND diet was developed by the researchers of Rush University Medical Centre which, if followed, may reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease by 53% according to their study. The MIND diet is purported to slow the rate of cognitive decline regardless of risk factors such as genetics, smoking and exercise.
The MIND diet is comprised of green leafy vegetables, other vegetables, nuts, berries, beans, whole grains, fish, poultry, olive oil and wine. It also provides for a list of foods to avoid which I excerpt from WebMD as follows,
- Red meat: Less than four servings a week
- Butter and margarine: Less than a tablespoon daily
- Cheese: Less than one serving a week
- Pastries and sweets: Less than five servings a week
- Fried or fast food: Less than one serving a week
Hope you’ve enjoyed this food for thought!